Introduction
This blog is a flipped learning task assigned by Barad Sir as a part of the coursework for Paper I: Research Methodology.
Academic writing is often introduced to researchers through a set of rules: use formal language, cite sources correctly, maintain an appropriate structure, and avoid unsupported claims. However, the three lectures by Kalyan Chattopadhyay and Atanu Bhattacharya have encouraged scholars to look beyond these surface-level conventions and understand academic writing as a mode of intellectual engagement. The lectures collectively demonstrate that effective academic writing involves not only 'how' a researcher writes, but also how a researcher 'thinks'. It requires the movement from a broad topic towards a research problem, from information towards analysis, and from existing scholarship towards an independently justified position.
Lecture 1: Academic Writing as Critical Engagement — Kalyan Chattopadhyay
Kalyan Chattopadhyay’s lecture helped me understand the fundamental distinction between academic writing and critical writing. Academic writing has certain formal characteristics: precise vocabulary, objective language, appropriate referencing, structured paragraphs, and cautious claims. However, these features alone do not make writing genuinely academic. The deeper requirement is critical engagement with the material being discussed.
One concept that particularly resonated with me was hedging. Words such as “may,” “suggests,” “appears,” and “tends to” allow a researcher to make claims without presenting interpretations as unquestionable facts. I previously associated academic authority with confident assertions, but the lecture made me recognize that scholarly confidence can also lie in acknowledging the limits of what the evidence establishes. This is particularly important in literary research, where interpretations are rarely absolute. In my own research, for example, I may argue that a particular representation of water suggests a hydrofeminist understanding of interconnected bodies rather than claiming that the text definitively “proves” such an interpretation.
The discussion of paragraph structure was equally useful. A paragraph should begin with a topical sentence, develop its claim through evidence and analysis, and conclude by demonstrating what has been established. The concluding sentence therefore needs to create progress, rather than simply repeat the opening statement. This has made me more conscious of whether each paragraph in my future thesis chapters actually advances my argument.
Most importantly, the lecture emphasized the development of a researcher’s voice. Critical writing involves careful thought, analysis, comparison, questioning, and decision-making. A literature review or theoretical discussion becomes meaningful only when I explain why particular scholarly arguments matter to my research and where I position myself in relation to them. I therefore see my researcher voice not as something that should compete with established scholars, but as something that must be constructed through sustained engagement with them.
To better understand the points, you can check out the infographic given below:
Lecture 2: From Topic to Research Problem — Atanu Bhattacharya: The Basics
The first lecture by Atanu Bhattacharya broadened my understanding of academic writing by presenting it as an organized narrative built around a research problem. One of the most significant distinctions was between writing about a broad “topic” and investigating a specific “area of difficulty.” Doctoral research requires identifying something within that larger field that needs to be questioned, reconsidered, or examined from a new perspective.
This also changed the way we understand the purpose of academic writing. It is not simply an exercise in arranging information logically. It is an attempt to construct and communicate a scholarly position. The discussion of “black boxes”—ideas that are frequently accepted without sufficient questioning—encouraged me to think about what assumptions may exist within my own field. In researching hydrofeminism and Greek mythological retellings, I need to ask not only what existing scholars have said about mythology, feminism, ecology, or water, but also what remains insufficiently examined when these areas are brought together.
Another important insight was the warning against theoreticism: the use of sophisticated terminology and theoretical vocabulary without substantive intellectual content. The examples of the Sokal Affair and the Bezwoda fraud demonstrate, in very different ways, why scholarly appearance cannot substitute for intellectual and methodological rigor. For me, this is a useful caution because my research is inherently interdisciplinary and involves several theoretical frameworks. I need to ensure that concepts such as hydrofeminism, trans-corporeality, posthumanism, and Blue Humanities are not included merely to make the thesis appear theoretically rich. Each concept must have a clear function within my argument.
The lecture also offered a valuable perspective on the literature review. Rather than treating it as a collection of summaries, we should use it to map existing scholarship and identify where my research enters that conversation. This is particularly important for establishing the justification for research questions and demonstrating the relevance of any chosen corpus.
Check out the infographic given below, to understand the points in brief:
Lecture 3: The Mechanics of Academic Writing — Atanu Bhattacharya
The second lecture by Atanu Bhattacharya brought these conceptual insights into the practical mechanics of research writing. One of the most useful concepts was triangulation, particularly theoretical, methodological, and data triangulation. Although my research is literary rather than empirical, the broader principle of approaching a research problem through multiple perspectives is valuable.
The lecture also clarified the distinction between primary and secondary sources. In my research, the five selected novels 'The Penelopiad', 'Circe', 'A Thousand Ships', 'Ariadne', and 'Ithaca', constitute my primary texts, while theoretical works, critical articles, and scholarship on mythology, feminism, ecology, and hydrofeminism constitute my secondary sources. Recognizing this distinction helps me maintain a clearer relationship between the texts I am analyzing and the scholarship through which I interpret them.
I found the discussion of research stance particularly relevant. Academic writing must establish what the researcher is claiming, why the research is necessary, and how the researcher is positioned in relation to the subject. The discussion of hedges and boosters further demonstrated that academic writing involves carefully managing degrees of certainty. At the same time, the lecture’s discussion of the first-person “I” challenged the assumption that academic writing must always completely erase the researcher. In appropriate contexts, acknowledging the researcher’s rationale and positionality can make the argument more transparent rather than less academic.
The lecture also reinforced the importance of an argumentative structure involving proposition, evidence, counter-argument, and explanation or rebuttal. This gives me a practical framework for thinking about my future textual analysis. Instead of presenting an interpretation and immediately moving to another example, I should establish the claim, demonstrate it through textual evidence, engage with alternative readings where relevant, and explain why my interpretation contributes something meaningful to the discussion.
Given below is an infographic that explains these points:
Conclusion
Taken together, the three lectures have shifted my understanding of academic writing from a primarily linguistic skill to a way of producing and communicating knowledge. Chattopadhyay sir’s emphasis on criticality and researcher voice, Bhattacharya sir’s discussion of moving from topics to research problems, and his practical exploration of research mechanics collectively suggest that good academic writing requires intellectual clarity before linguistic polish. Formal vocabulary, paragraph structure, citations, hedging, and other conventions are important, but they become meaningful only when they serve a well-defined research argument.
For my PhD journey, this learning is particularly timely. As I move from coursework towards sustained research and thesis writing, I need to develop the habit of writing alongside reading rather than postponing writing until I believe that my research is “complete.” I also need to revisit my drafts critically, question my assumptions, maintain accurate references, and ensure that every theoretical concept contributes to my central research problem. Most importantly, I want my thesis to demonstrate not only that I have read extensively, but that I have thought carefully about what I have read and made informed scholarly decisions because of it. In that sense, mastering academic writing is not simply learning how to write a thesis; it is learning how to think and communicate as a researcher.
Words - 1300
Images - 4
Videos - 3
References -

Comments
Post a Comment